Saturday, December 20, 2008

Internet Tools

After reading the page on How Routers Work (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/router10.htm) I went ahead and did the trace on curtin.edu.au. I ended up using network-tools.com as the other site was unable to complete the trace, I believe the problem was that the trace was timing out. After completing the trace and fiddling around with pasting the outcome to this blog I came to the conclusion that it would be a lot simpler to attach an edited(removed unwanted banners) screen shot of my results.

here it is finally,





It would appear as though there are twenty hops from tools.com to curtin.edu.au, I do wonder however about hops 17 - 19 that have registered as timed out, do these hops actually count towards the total?. If not then the hop count from tools.com to curtin.edu.au would be seventeen.

The average time it took for the trace was 2229.66m/s, the final piece to this task was to identify the IP number for curtin.edu.au, which is 134.7.179.53

No comments: