Thursday, February 19, 2009

Module 5 Information Ecologies

What do I think about the idea that the Internet can be viewed as an ecology, well an ecology is a conglomeration of various species of living organisms located within a certain environment. Firstly can my use of the Internet be compared with an ecology, when asking this question of myself i am not tryng to discover whether the Internet is a living organism surviving in the realm of cyberspace. I am questioning whether my Internet use in some ways mimics the relationships between living organisms in an ecology. As I am not a biologist my understanding of ecology's is somewhat limited but from what i do understand ecology's rely on symbiotic relationships, in this respect the use of the Internet is very similar from my relationship with my keyboard to the relationship between the server and my query. One cannot complete a task without the others input in this way it can be considered a symbiotic relationship, and therefore by extension an ecology. It changes my view of the Internet from a simple information retrieval and storage device into a realm of infinite possibilities where information is the power source, my imagination the tool and communications are the directions.
As an ecology has many components communication cannot be considered an ecology as it is only one species of organism within the ecology of the Internet. Even though there may be different family groups within a genus, this does not constitute an ecology. The same applies to communication there are different forms of communication, but still they are only one genus or family and therefore are only a part of an ecology not the whole.

No comments: