Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Chat task

Hmmmm which program to choose that was the first conundrum I faced. In the past I have used Yahoo messenger almost exclusively, but I have also had occasion to use microsoft live messenger. I came to the conclusion that to maximise my chances of catching someone from my course online i needed to download at least one other IM program so I installed ICQ. Rather than posting my user id's on the chat board im opting to send everyone an email of my contact details. That way I can be sure that everyone will receive them and the decision to make contact will be theirs to make. As for the programs i have chosen to use i only have experience with two at the moment Yahoo and Windows live. As purely text based chat programs both are easy to use with lots of optional extras(such as games), but when i have used the voice call option i find that both programs have some quirks yahoo has a tendency to shut down voice calls and especially on international calls the quality of the sound is at times not the best. A similar thing can be said of microsoft live although with their voice call the problem in usually either feedback on the signal or some echoing. Now after being so negative I must also add that the use of these two programs has changed my life for the better. I now have the ability to talk to people that i would never have had the opportunity to before.

1 comment:

Tessa G said...

Hi Douglas!

I've enjoyed reading your NET11 journey on this blog - I especially like how you've used 'labels', so if someone is searching for specific content they can skim through the posts and find the label that refers to their content of interest.

Might try this on my blog!

A great journey - thanks for the invite to view it :)

Tess