Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mod 3 Copyright

I do not believe that i contravened any copyright laws, although one comes to mind that might be a bit iffy. The character based graphic done on the tutorial if copied directly might be considered a breech(luckily I changed it lol), but then being part of an education site and used for educational purposes, does that mean it is taken for granted that the material will be used to further an individuals education in a practical sense(Fair use). The tutorial asked the user to make a web page therefore any content used in the creation of afore mentioned page if copied would not be subject to copyright as permission has already been give for its use in an educational sense. After thinking a little further I also came to believe that this didn't apply to publishing and loading a page onto the net for public use especially if monetary gain is involved.

Would I be violating copyright law if I were to use the Curtin logo at the top of an assignment. My view on this would be no i would not the reason being I am actually a part of Curtin University, the logo is on an assignment handed out by and completed for Curtin Uni, and unless i was to publish the document for public viewing I believe that I would be within the limits of copyright law to use it for projects within Curtin university.

Now to see what the law has to say hmmm apparently I would be infringing copy right unless I had the permission of Curtin University to use the logo. http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:HU7gNAZpyeYJ:www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G028.pdf+logo+copyright+law&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au
I hope this link is helpful, it helped clear a few things up for me.

No comments: